A man suspected of killing 10 people in a mass stabbing in Canada has been found dead – with injuries that were not self-inflicted.
Canadian police have named him as Damien Sanderson, saying the 31-year-old was found dead on the James Smith Cree Nation, one of the locations for the stabbings.
Meanwhile, the search continues for his brother and fellow suspect Myles, with police saying they believe he is in Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan and about 210 miles south of where the stabbings happened.
Speaking on Monday afternoon local time, officers said that Myles is believed to be injured and could seek medical attention.
“Even if he is injured, it does not mean he is not still dangerous.
“Myles has a lengthy criminal record involving both persons and property crimes,” they added.
“We consider him armed and dangerous. Do not approach him. If you know of his whereabouts, call 911.”
Myles Sanderson has been “unlawfully at large” since May when a local crimestoppers appeal was issued in a bid to trace him.
He had been serving an almost five-year sentence for offences including assault and robbery and was given parole but then disappeared, according to CBC News.
Police across Canada’s three vast prairie provinces, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta, have been alerted, along with US border officials.
The stabbings, which left 18 people injured, are one of the deadliest mass killings in Canada’s history.
Authorities have said some of the victims were targeted and others appeared to have been chosen at random on the James Smith Cree Nation and in the town of Weldon in Saskatchewan province.
No motive has been suggested but Bobby Cameron, chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, told The Associated Press the stabbings could be drug-related.
“This is the destruction we face when harmful illegal drugs invade our communities, and we demand all authorities to take direction from the chiefs and councils and their membership to create safer and healthier communities for our people.”
Trudeau urges public to ‘be careful’ over two men suspected of killing 10 people
In a televised statement, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the stabbings as “shocking and heart-breaking”.
He added: “This kind of violence, or any kind of violence, has no place in our country.
“The priority is keeping you and your loved ones safe so please be careful.”